skip navigation

Collegiate Play

There are two types of opportunities for college students to play with university-affiliated teams: varsity and club.

Varsity Field Hockey

In Michigan, three schools have Varsity programs. All three are Divison I. These include the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, and Central Michigan University.

In order to play at the Varsity level in college, athletes typically have to be recruited out of high school.

Both Michigan and MSU are in the Big 10, and Central Michigan is in the MAC.

More information about each of their programs can be found on their websites, linked below.

University of Michigan Field Hockey

A Big 10 school located in Ann Arbor.

Michigan State University Field Hockey

A Big 10 school located in East Lansing.

Central Michigan University Field Hockey

A MAC school located in Mount Pleasant.

Club Field Hockey

Michigan and Michigan State also have Club Field Hockey teams. Club teams can be joined by anyone attending the university, and the competition and commitment level is a step down from Varsity programs.

At the collegiate level, the National Field Hockey League runs club competition throughout the US.  To learn more about NFHL please visit their website at

Colleges and Universities with Club Field Hockey

University of Michigan - to receive information from the Michigan Field Hockey Club, visit their Instagram page @michiganclubfieldhockey and use the link to sign up!  

Michigan State University - to receive information from Michigan State Field Hockey Club, visit their Instagram page @msuclubfieldhockey and use their link to join their GroupMe.

To share information about Club field hockey at your school, please email and let us help!